These delicious morsels are an upgrade to the traditional hush puppy and are frickin’ delicious!
- 1 1/4 lbs salt cod fish
- 5 cups unsalted potatoes ( riced or finely mashed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- oil ( for deep frying)
- Rinse and soak the cod 12 hours or overnight in several changes of cold water.
- Drain, place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer until fish flakes easily when poked with a knife about 15 minutes.
- Drain , cool and remove skin and bones.
- Shred finely in the food processor making sure ther are no chunks.
- Combine cod, potatoes, onion, parsley , lemon juice, nutmeg and pepper. taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in eggs to form a firm , malleable mixture.
- Using a dessert spoon scoop up a heaping spoon full of cod mixture. With a second dessert spoon cupped over the first press and form a rounded oval allowing excess to fall back into bowl. Place on a tray. continue with rest of mixture.
- In 3 inches of oil heated to 375F deep fry ovals about 8 at a time till golden and crisp. Drain immediately.
- Serve with lemon and olives.