Cooking Time: 15 min
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, boneless and skinned
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- White pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 dash red hot chilies
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- To make orange sauce, combine zest, orange juice, granulated sugar, chicken stock and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken pieces in 2-inch squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Stir 1/2 cup cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thick. Stir in 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Serve at once.
If you like this restaurant recipe, then you will love 27 Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes eCookbook. Download your copy for free now!