For the dip:
- Mix all the ingredients, cover with plastic and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour or ideally overnight.
- Slice skirt steak across the grain and at a 45 degree angle. Thread onto soaked skewers and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan on high heat for at least 10 minutes and sear the beef on both sides being careful not to burn the skewers. It should take no more than 1 minute per side. Pull them off the grill pan and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with the dipping sauce.
For the pickled onions:
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar, peppercorns and bay leaves to a boil in a small pot. Let boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture over onions. If the liquid doesn’t cover the onions completely, push them down with a spoon. Transfer to a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 30 days.
-From Food Republic.